I just created a list of books about transgender and the Christian Bible, but we also need stories! This list looks at transgender (auto) biographical books that are explicitly Christian. I probably missed some others, so please contact me with additions!
I plan to review and provide notes on these books, as I am able. Please be in touch if you can provide me with a review copy!
Watch OtherWise Engaged Publishing for more spiritual memoirs and autobiographical resources!
From Christendom to Freedom: Journey-Making with a Black Transgender Elder (2020) by Jonathon Thunderword
- Part spiritual autobiography, part workbook, part tour of world religions. Jonathon starts with experiences in Christianity and shares how he converted to Judaism (without leaving his Jesus behind) and goes on to find his way among many traditions. This is a non-dogmatic resource which encourages exploration and discernment.
OtherWise Christian 2: Stories of Resistance (2020) edited by Mx Chris Paige
- Includes reflections from lived experience by 29 transgender, intersex, non-binary, and two spirit people. While it is an anthology of many voices, it is autobiographical (but also theological) in theme.
Rev Debra Hopkins (2020)
- This little gem is heartfelt and evocative. It offers a different kind of insight–-a glimpse of the heart of a man such as this. This book is a sacred gift.
Transforming: The Bible and the Lives of Transgender Christians (2018) by Austen Hartke
- This is a lovely hybrid book that both looks at scripture and includes personal reflections from several transgender Christians.
- While this book is not framed as a transgender 101, it does include some useful narrative around both trans masculine personal experience and Christian tradition.
Laurie Suzanne Scott (2018)
Laura Bethany Taylor (2016)
Lei Ming (2016)
Brett Ray (2015)
Transcender Lee (2015)
- Fr Shay writes in an accessible way that opens up both scripture and his own trans-masculine experience. It’s an especially great devotional resource during Lent and/or Holy Week.
Rev Dawn Flynn (2012)
Sister Paula Nielsen (2012)
Rev Dr David Weekley (2011)
Lisa Salazar (2011)
Who is missing? Thanks to M Barclay and Sam Allen for helping me expand this list!
Do you have a story to tell? OtherWise Engaged Publishing may be able to help!
- ALSO Transgender Christian Oral Histories
- ALSO Are there pro-trans or anti-trans passages in the Christian Bible?
- ALSO Transgender and the Christian Bible
Compiled by Mx. Chris Paige on August 16, 2019. Updated September 12, 2019, July 16, 2020.
Note: This blog is intended to be an on-going work in progress. Please contact us if you have corrections or are able to contribute further context or reflections.