I would also love to find collaborators who might help me create similar resources for other denominations and movements, as a historical record. Please be in touch!
I call the period from 1996-2006 the “transgender spring,” that is, the first decade of transgender Christian publishing. While not intended to be a detailed history, I do want to highlight a bit about what it meant to be writing about transgender concerns in that period. Every sighting of a transgender Christian was precious through those years. Continue reading “The Transgender Spring, 1996-2006”
Pilgrim Press, affiliated with the United Church of Christ, played a remarkable role in the time period that I call the “transgender spring” (1996-2006). These five books were an unprecedented and unparalleled contribution to the emergent conversation about transgender experience:
- Omnigender: A Trans-religious Approach, by Virginia Mollenkott, 2001
- Crossing Over: Liberating the Transgendered Christian, by Vanessa Sheridan, 2001
- Trans-Gendered: Theology, Ministry, and Communities of Faith, by Justin Tanis, 2003
- Transgender Journeys, by Virginia Mollenkott and Vanessa Sheridan, 2003
- Transgendering Faith: Identity, Sexuality, And Spirituality, edited by by Leanne McCall Tigert and Maren C. Tirabassi, 2004